The AFL congratulates Brett Rosebury who will become the all-time record-holder for most games umpired on Friday when he takes to the field to officiate the Western Bulldogs vs Richmond at Marvel Stadium.
Having recently celebrated his 500th game in Round 18 of the Toyota AFL Premiership, Rosebury will now pass Shane McInerney’s current record of 502 games – set in 2019 – to become outright record holder at 503.
AFL Chief Executive Officer Gillon McLachlan congratulated Rosebury, after the record-breaking umpire was invited to AFL House earlier this week to be celebrated by all staff nationally ahead of his record-breaking 503rd game.
"Brett is a force in our game, on-field and off. He's a great role model amongst the umpires and is someone who genuinely cares about the game,” Mr McLachlan said.
"He’s known as a great umpire with great rapport with players but he's always smiling, having fun and bringing an energy. Individuals change organisations and there’s no doubt Brett has changed the face of umpiring in many ways."
AFL General Manager Umpiring Lisa Lawry congratulated Brett on his record-breaking achievement.
“Brett sets himself such high standards both on and off the field and this record adds to a long list of wonderful achievements in his 23-year career,” Ms Lawry said.
“He continues to find time to give back to community umpiring and invests in the development of the next generation of elite umpires and we are incredibly thankful for his contribution.”
The AFL historian has compiled the following key achievements:
- AFL Grand Final – 2009, 2010 and 2010 replay, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018 and 2021
- AFL All-Australian – 2008, 2009 and 2011
- AFLUA Umpire of the Year (the Bishop Shield) – 2008, 2009, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- NAB Cup Grand Finals – 2008, 2010 and 2011
- Ian Coates Medallion – 2001
- Ireland v Australia International Rules Series – 2010 in Ireland (2nd Test)
- U16 National Championships – 1998
- U18 National Championships – 1999
- NTFL Grand Final – 1998 and 1999
- WAFL Grand Final – 1999 and 2000
- AFL Life Membership - 2014
- AFLUA Life Membership - 2009